man-db without cache update (no cron or systemd *.timer)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Oct 20 18:56:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, 15.10.14 16:10, Jan Chaloupka (jchaloup at redhat.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there has been a discussion about if we need cache for man-db for users
> which use man pages or update system only from time to time and thus
> don't need to update cache every day. man-db as it is now depends on
> systemd which brings another set of packages. The use case is "I just
> want to read man page. So I install man which on the other hand download
> another set of packages. I want to read man page and it downloads
> systemd.".

Hmm, not sure I follow here. Since when is systemd an optional
component in Fedora?

There appear to be two reasons to depend on the systemd package: for
correct ownership of the unit directory, and for being able to invoke
systemctl. The former could be fixed by moving the ownership to
filesystem.rpm. The shouldn't realy matter as the command should be
suffixed by >/dev/null 2>&1 || : anyway...

But again, I am not sure I understand what is going on here. Is
systemd now optional in Fedora?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat