Looking for xorg-x11-* package co-maintainers

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 10:17:37 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 10/22/2014 12:09 PM, Simone Caronni wrote:
> On 22 October 2014 11:25, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> You do not need to be a hardcore X hacker to help here. 2 things
>> with which I really could use help is keeping all the various bits
>> and pieces up2date with upstream releases, and taking care of
>> simple (packaging) bugs were possible.
>>
>> To give you an idea, currently I've this list of packages which
>> still need to be synced with upstream for rawhide and Fedora-21 :
>>
>>  -xcb-proto 1.11
>>  -libxcb 1.11
>>  -xrandr 1.4.3
>>  -libXfont 1.5.0
>>  -twm-1.0.8
>>  -imake 1.0.7, gccmakedep 1.0.3 (imake)
>>  -libICE 1.0.9
>>  -libXft 2.3.2
>>  -intel-gpu-tools 1.8
>>  -xkeyboard-config 2.13
>>  -xcb-util 0.4.0
>>
>> Note these are the upstream package names, the Fedora package
>> names are not always the same. Also in some cases someone else
>> may have updated them since I noticed that they were out of date,
>> I've not rechecked the list recently.
>>
>> If you want to help out with maintaining these, please let me
>> know!
>>

> I'm no hacker, but I can help with packaging.

Great! Note I'm still sorting out getting admin rights on these
packages myself, so that I can grant others access. If you're a
proven packager, just use your proven packager rights for now,
if not just get everything ready, do a commit, followed by:

git format-patch HEAD~

And then send me the resulting patch, and I'll apply it for now.
If we go this route, please also let me know if I should apply
this only to rawhide, or also to older releases (see below).

> Some packages of those need
> also to be put on par with recent packaging guidelines.

Yes, cleaning up the specfiles would very much be welcome too.

> What's the policy here? Always have the latest pushed to rawhide

Yes.

> and follow the usual rules for releases in freeze (i.e. no big jumps)?

Yes, more or less, mostly just look at the changelog and apply common sense,
also depends on the package a bit, e.g. intel-gpu-tools is part of
xorg-x11-drv-intel bumping the actual driver needs to be done somewhat carefully,
but bumping the tools is more or less always safe, as they are not that
important. twm also is probably best just kept fully up2date with upstream
in F-21. lib... OTOH may cause breakage (they should not but you never know),
etc.

Thanks & Regards,

Hans