Improving the offline updates user experience

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 22 10:31:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, 17.09.14 13:58, Miroslav Suchý (msuchy at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 09/17/2014 11:54 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >All those OSes require reboots when updating the OS.
>
> Define OS.
>
> Firefox is definitely not OS. While systemd is OS.
> I am fine with reboot after systemd upgrade, but not after upgrading
> Firefox.

Well, on Fedora and Unixes the apps are just part of the OS, they are
all dropped into /usr, and not isolated out.

It would be great if we could nicely isolate the apps from the OS so
that we can restart the apps independently from the OS, but this
requires isolating things first.

We are working on app sandboxes, and they will make this available,
but it's the traditional Linux model cannot really deliver this.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat