Improving the offline updates user experience

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 19:07:33 UTC 2014

On 17.09.2014 13:58, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 09/17/2014 11:54 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> All those OSes require reboots when updating the OS.
>
> Define OS.
>
> Firefox is definitely not OS. While systemd is OS.
> I am fine with reboot after systemd upgrade, but not after upgrading Firefox.

the important point in that case is not reboot after upgrading Firefox
but *before* upgrading Firefox, which means that at the time of the
upgrade no Firefox will be running and potentially crashing because one
of the 100s of DSOs it loads on-demand has changed in an incompatible way.

there used to be quite a few ABRT crashes reported against desktop
applications with impossible looking stack traces (although with the
automatic micro-reports it's less of a problem nowadays as they are
easier to ignore), and sometimes the reporter gives feedback that the
application was running across a yum update...