Improving the offline updates user experience

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 10:00:28 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 12:57 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> The upgrade can last one hour (more or less).
>>
>> An hour?! Most of my offline updates take a few tens of seconds with
>> F21. Is this on fairly up-to-date SSD hardware? Are any specific
>> packages taking longer than the others?
>
> an hour was surely exaggerated

Not at all.
I'm not updating daily. I upgraded my machine IIRC 2-3 weeks ago. So lets benchmark it and provide you real data.

My machine have classic magnetic disk, however in SW RAID1.
  Timing cached reads:   12236 MB in  2.00 seconds = 6124.59 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 412 MB in  3.00 seconds = 137.12 MB/sec
Fedora 21, 16 GB RAM (2GB free), 8 CPU cores, swap available but none used

I run "dnf upgrade" and I have been offered 853 packages and 1.3 GB to download.
Download lasted 3mins 20secs.
Then installation started and since beginning "transaction started" till the end lasted exactly 53 minutes.
No specific package is blocking the process, dnf was chewing packages one by one in steady pace. Veryfing phase lasted
~4 minutes, so it means approximately 3 second per package, which is what I am seeing on screen.

And this is nothing exceptional. I see similar times across all machines I maintain. When I'm updating box of my mother
(old EeeBox, updating aprox every 3 months) then the time is usually 3 hours (however ~1 hour is just download phase).

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS