dnf vs yum

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 14:00:59 UTC 2014

On Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:26:37 PM CEST Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>

>> Yes, switch the defaults ASAP. Thanks
>>

> FWIW,   there is still considerable work left is switching over to dnf
> completely.
>
> Filtering out some minor details (based on my system),
>
> Bodhi-client,  fedpkg, python-meh, libreport-python, yum-utils depends on
> yum and yum-utils itself is a dependency for fedora-review, lpf and
> mock.

FWIW fedora-review only requires yum-utils and that's only for
repoquery. Based on a quick glance at dnf repoquery module there are a
few things missing that we are using with repoquery:
 * -C (use cache only)
 * --resolve (resolves to packages that provide required symbols)

We also run 'yum makecache' so before all actual repoquery commands (that's
why we then use cache). This might not be needed with dnf since it
usually caches yum metadata and doesn't redownload on every query.

Dnf repoquery also behaves differently than yum-utils repoquery. For
example:
$ repoquery --requires python
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libdl.so.2
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
libpython2.7.so.1.0
libutil.so.1
python-libs(x86-32) = 2.7.5-14.fc20
rtld(GNU_HASH)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libdl.so.2()(64bit)
libm.so.6()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libpython2.7.so.1.0()(64bit)
libutil.so.1()(64bit)
python-libs(x86-64) = 2.7.5-14.fc20
rtld(GNU_HASH)

$ dnf repoquery --requires python
rtld(GNU_HASH)
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
libdl.so.2
libutil.so.1
libpython2.7.so.1.0
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
python-libs(x86-32) = 2.7.5-9.fc20
rtld(GNU_HASH)
libm.so.6()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libdl.so.2()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libpython2.7.so.1.0()(64bit)
libutil.so.1()(64bit)
python-libs(x86-64) = 2.7.5-9.fc20
rtld(GNU_HASH)
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
libdl.so.2
libutil.so.1
libpython2.7.so.1.0
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
python-libs(x86-32) = 2.7.5-14.fc20
rtld(GNU_HASH)
libm.so.6()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libdl.so.2()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libutil.so.1()(64bit)
libpython2.7.so.1.0()(64bit)
python-libs(x86-64) = 2.7.5-14.fc20

No idea why it's this way though.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Business System Analyst, Hosted and Shared Services

PGP: 7B087241