Remove Perl from minimal build root

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 23:37:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 October 2014 14:02, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
>> If you have any comments, please speak up now.
>
> No comment, just lots of thanks!
>
> Richard

I tried this, *twice*. Once way, way back when with Red Hat 6.x (not
RHEL 6.x, Red Hat 6.x, think back to around 2001). It was not pleasant
work, there are a *lot* of hidden dependencies. And once about 6 years
ago to to shrink and secure a CentOS build, along with ripping out gcc
and build tools.

It really wasn't pretty to watch, and I don't recommend burning your
timne on this. I wound up writing a lot of plugins to work around the
dependencies, and it rapidly exceeded the expense and time of just
installing perl.