Remove Perl from minimal build root

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 08:58:08 UTC 2014

Dne 31.10.2014 v 00:37 Nico Kadel-Garcia napsal(a):
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30 October 2014 14:02, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> If you have any comments, please speak up now.
>> No comment, just lots of thanks!
>>
>> Richard
> I tried this, *twice*. Once way, way back when with Red Hat 6.x (not
> RHEL 6.x, Red Hat 6.x, think back to around 2001). It was not pleasant
> work, there are a *lot* of hidden dependencies. And once about 6 years
> ago to to shrink and secure a CentOS build, along with ripping out gcc
> and build tools.
>
> It really wasn't pretty to watch, and I don't recommend burning your
> timne on this. I wound up writing a lot of plugins to work around the
> dependencies, and it rapidly exceeded the expense and time of just
> installing perl.

I understand, but fortunately time is changing and some things are
better now then they used to be. I can't say this will be successful,
but as I said, RPM, which was the usual excuse, is Perl independent,
with the last exception I suggest to get rid off and I believe that Perl
team can now do bootstrap and rebuild of all Perl packages, which should
help with testing prior this lands, so all these makes me optimistic.

Vít