ca-certificates 2014.2.1 will remove several still valid CA certificates with weak keys

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Oct 31 15:11:46 UTC 2014

Am 31.10.2014 um 15:53 schrieb Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos:
>>> and
>>> be a
>>> Is there some issue with gnutls in F21? As far as I understand it
>>> should
>>> work as expected with the certificates removed.
>>
>> It works as expected in the sense that GnuTLS can no longer handle major
>> web sites like Amazon and Kickstarter, this being the natural
>> consequence of removing a root before the certificates issued by it have
>> expired....
>
> Are you sure that this is the case with the current package? My F21 can
> no longer connect to network to test, but gnutls in it should
> reconstruct the chain similarly to what nss does (not very similarly to
> be precise but the end result should be the same). If it is not the case
> please report it as bug and I'll check it out.

the point is that if somebody buys a certificate for 6 years he may have
a checklist when to change them and if some 3rd party decides to remove
the CA certificate -> game over for users of that 3rd party

from where will you "reconstruct the chain"?

* webserver a) has a certificate for 6 years
* the issuer is CA b) which you remove
* you make that certificate invalid by intention
* frankly, that certificate still shows "i am valid until"
* that certificate would have to be replaced
* that won't happen in many cases

you can hope and expect that large internet copmanies are doing that in
a timely manner, but you *really really* can not expect that from
anybody out there and you won't notice small websites and other services
breaking caused by that

the worst case is that somebody with no technical clue installed the
certificate, becomes very few complaints, verfies that it works
everywhere and claims Fedora to be broken - and frankly he is just right
with that claim because nobody but the CA is in the position to revoke
CA certs which are valid

there is a difference in CA's call back certificates and force there
users to re-new their certificates or a random OS supplier just removes
them from the chain - the CA normally knows which certificates are
issued for which customer with a specific CA certificate - the blind
butcher making CA certificates invalid don't know

the whole CA trust idea is broken by design, but you won't fix it by
remove vaild CA certificates *without coordinate that with the affected
CA and make sure all affected customer certificates are replaced*