Dist-git for Copr

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sat Sep 6 15:07:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:34:57 +0200
Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> we (the Copr team) would like to allow uploading of source RPM to
> Copr. It seems that best way is to utilize dist-git [1]. Then Copr
> will fetch sources and spec file from dist-git and build SRC.RPM the
> same as Koji does now. And hopefuly you will be able to use fedpkg to
> interact with Copr.
>
> I see two options available: Copr will have its own dist-git instance
> or we will share dist-git together with Fedora. There are pros and
> cons for both and I would like to summarize it.
>
> 1) Copr will have its own dist-git instance
> Pros:
>   * no possible conflicts with Fedora
>   * installation of dist-git is tracken in ansible playbook in
> infra.git, so it should be straightforward (although Pavol Babincak -
> current maintainer of dist-git - claimed he had hard times to
> reproduce the installation) Cons:
>   * require additional machine (Fedora currently use 8GB RAM + 2 GB
> swap and 1 TB of disk)
>   * and additional maintance (although Pavol Babincak claims that
> there are no problems with running instance, he barely need to touch
> it)
Pavol is one of the maintainers he is not the only one.

> 2) Copr will share dist-git with Fedora
> Pros:
>   * no maintenance of new machine
>   * a lot of source are same and shared in look-aside cache (less
> data stored)
>   * technically easily possible. E.g. for package 'rpm' in Copr
> project msuchy/foo we can create branch 'msuchy/foo' of dist-git
> 'rpm'. There are separate ACLs for each branch, so owner of
> 'msuchy/foo' branch could not affect branch 'f20' and vice versa.
> Cons:
>   * dist-git use MD5 for checksum [2] therefore it can be practicaly
> possible to find collision with existing tar.gz and upload new
> version and Koji will use that file instead.
I do not see this as a huge issue

>   * Koji currently build from given SHA of commit of dist git and
> does not check if it is in correct branch. Therefore it can be
> theoreticaly possible to submit to Koji build from Copr branch. Afaik
> you still have to have ACL for that given branch in Fedora, so only
> Fedora package maintainer can do that and he obviously have no reason
> for that, but still... technicaly possible.
as long as the commit is in git anyone with a koji cert (i.e.
potentially anyone who has signed the fpca) can submit a build. until
we have ways to make sure builds are from an appropriate branch in koji
I will strongly oppose sharing of dist-git

> * Legal differences - users of Copr does not have to belong to
> CLA_DONE group. Can it make some problems? I do not know.
yes it can, I do not think we should accept contributions from people
who have not agreed to the fpca. I do not want to get into a situation
where a fedora maintainer pulled commits from a copr repo into Fedora
and we are being asked to remove them because they legally could not
contribute.