systemd-readahead

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sun Sep 7 03:55:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 10:18:20PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Whenever my laptop boots, the hard disk is pegged at 100% and the
> machine is unusable for another 2 minutes because of
> "systemd-readahead", a misguided attempt to optimize the boot process.
> Did we agree to this when we adopted systemd as an init replacement?

  It was part of original feature:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/systemd

  Nb. readhead was removed from upstream systemd recently.  Fedora
can either follow upstream and drop it, or patch back in.
  And you can disable it on your system any time.

> I don't remember init including all this other stuff.

  "systemd suite" is collection of utilities and APIs for building Linux
systemd.  It contains init among other things.  Changing init was
most discussed thing, but let's not pretend systemd == init only.

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl                                          72->|   80->|