New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 07:43:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 10:18:45PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-09-07 at 18:49 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > I am puzzled.  Upstream doesn't need to consult FESCo for developing new
> > > features.  However it does need to consult FESCo for Fedora integration and
> > > it seems that systemd has.  Can you point out any counter examples?
> >
> > There's been a lot of change between systemd-26 (Fedora 15 GA) and
> > system-216 in Rawhide.  I'm just looking at the Fedora packages here,
> > not the upstream features, because as you say, upstream can develop
> > whatever they want and good luck to them.
> >
> > Anyway, systemd now does the following which it didn't do in F15:
> >
> >  - has its own network configuration system
>
> ...which we don't use.

So why is the tool there?

> >  - has a way to control firmware boot settings
> >  - intercepts coredumps
>
> not on Fedora, abrt does that.

It does on my F22 machine:

  $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
  |/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e

I haven't done anything in particular that enables this, but it's
possibly because abrt is not installed on this headless system.

> >  - has the journal
>
> was *extensively* discussed and argued about when it landed and whenever
> changes were made to its behaviour (see list archives).
>
> >  - has tools for setting the system time and timezone, and locale
>
> Sure. They're useful.

They also don't work unless a daemon is running, meaning you can't
run them in a chrooted filesystem.

> >  - has a firstboot mechanism
>
> Where? In any case, Fedora doesn't use it.

systemd-firstboot(1) on F22.

> >  - detects virtualization (long story here, but a very bad idea to
> >    encourage programs to do this)
>
> I don't believe any Fedora units use this ability. It's there for people
> who want to use it.

At least open-vm-tools uses it (it shouldn't).

> >  - has a program for comparing /etc configurations
> >  - has its own version of the FHS and a tool for managing it
>
> Erm. What?

systemd-delta(1)
file-hierarchy(7)

both in F22.