Future changes in the new package and new branch processes

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 8 16:46:10 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 06:12 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 05:23:15AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> I think the only safe way is to create an empty branch and not to populate
>> it, because there are many constraints to be considered before a package can
>
> My proposal is to point new branches to the first commit in the master
> branch in each repo.

I fail to understand the rationale for this. It doesn't make any sense
to me. The pkgdb simply doesn't have any knowledge about what is right
or wrong.

Imagine you were going to branch a package for EPEL5. If you are going
to populate it from master, the likelihood, this package will be
incompatible to EPEL5 is almost 100%.

> This is also what is done initially, when a new
> repo is set up. "Empty branches", i.e. only the ACL but no commit in the
> branch might lead to maintainers accidentally creating the wrong branch.
I fail to understand once more. "Empty branches" are the status quo ever
since Fedora is using git. I feel you are trying to introduce a solution
to a non-problem,

Ralf