Improving the offline updates user experience

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 12 21:40:34 UTC 2014

Am 12.09.2014 um 23:36 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:33:13AM -0600, Nathanael d. Noblet wrote:
>> I am curious though. Everyone says the only way to do it securely and
>> safely is with nothing running. Why can't updates be applied with stuff
>> running prior to a reboot?
>
> There's no reason, apart from the kernel.  You're doing it right already

well, some libraries like glibc leads also in better reboot
since they are used by nearly any component, but for 99% of
all updates a reboot is a joke since you easily can restart
servcices with nearly zero downtime

systemctl condrestart service1 service2 service3

condrestart since i distribute such commands over the whole
infrsastructure after tests and deployment and not every
installed service is enabled on all hosts