Improving the offline updates user experience

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 12:06:39 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 10:57 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Every of the script is based on assumption that you already read some
> library/unit whatever. But that is not enough. I wonder how you want to
> detect that you need restart in case that I have something like this:
>
> $ ls
> foo.rb
> bar.rb
>
> $ cat foo.rb
>
> def some_function
>    require 'bar'
> end
>
> And now
>
> 1) I run some application, which loads my foo.rb file.
> 2) I later update the package which removes bar.rb file.
> 3) And I call some_function which fails due to missing bar.rb

Indeed, would foo.rb and bar.rb comes from different packages, then there is really no way.

> There is no universal and reliable way how to detect this scenario IMO.

Well, if you are operator of nuclear power plant, then I understand the need of reboot after each upgrade.

But *I* do not want to reboot after each upgrade. Those crashes will be 0.00001% of all crashes on my workstation, which
is less PITA than rebooting because I upgraded 'foo-doc' package.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS