Improving the offline updates user experience

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 15 12:49:34 UTC 2014

Am 15.09.2014 um 14:44 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 02:40:34PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> How is this not 'foo' simply being broken?  ie. Not expressing its
>>> needs properly in its RPM dependencies?
>>>
>>> It would still have been broken even with a reboot
>>
>> no - why should it?
>>
>> 'foo' is loaded in memory, updated and now has different dependencies
>> no longer require 'bar.rb' but your running version still do
>
> Please read closely.  'foo' has *not* been updated.
>
> If 'foo' had been updated, we would have spotted it and restarted that
> process using my technique outlined in the previous email

cross deps coming in my mind
foo -> library -> library -> library

* the first maybe already loaded
* also loaded the second one in a previous call
* that version relies on teh third one for some operations
* in a update the deps have changed

so you may have a mix with different dep-chains in memory
and some parts used the first time from disk with unexpected
results