F22 Self Contained Change: BIND version 9.10

Tomas Hozza thozza at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 11:47:28 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 01:34 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: BIND version 9.10 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BIND_9.10
>
> Change owner(s): Tomas Hozza <thozza at redhat.com>
>
> BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) version 9.10 is the latest stable major
> update of the widely used DNS server. Besides new features, some settings
> defaults have changed since the previous major version (9.9).
>
> == Detailed Description ==
>
> FULL BIND 9.10 RELEASE NOTES [1]
>
> === New features ===
> * New zone file format, "map", stores zone data in a format that can be mapped
> directly into memory, allowing significantly faster zone loading.
> * New tool "delv" (domain entity lookup and validation) with dig-like
> semantics for looking up DNS data and performing internal DNSSEC validation
> has been added.
> * New "prefetch" option improving the recursive resolver performance has been
> added.
> * Improved EDNS processing allowing better resolver performance.
> * Substantial improvements have been made in response-policy zone (RPZ)
> performance.
> * ACLs can now be specified based on geographic location using the MaxMind
> GeoIP databases.
> * The statistics channel can now provide data in JSON format as well as XML.
> * The new "in-view" zone option allows zone data to be shared between views,
> so that multiple views can serve the same zones authoritatively without
> storing multiple copies in memory.
> * Native PKCS#11 API has been added. This allows BIND 9 cryptography functions
> to use the PKCS#11 API natively, so that BIND can drive a cryptographic
> hardware service module (HSM) directly instead of using a modified OpenSSL as
> an intermediary (Native PKCS#11 is known to work with the Thales nShield HSM
> and with SoftHSM version 2 from the Open DNSSEC project.).
> * New tool "named-rrchecker" can be used to check the syntax of individual
> resource records, and optionally to convert them to the format used for
> unknown record types.
> * New tool "dnssec-importkey" allows "offline" DNSSEC keys (i.e., keys whose
> private data is not stored on the system on which named is running) to be
> published or deleted on schedule using automatic DNSKEY management.
> * Network interfaces are re-scanned automatically whenever they change.  Use
> "automatic-interface-scan no;" to disable this feature.
> ** Added "rndc scan" to trigger an interface scan manually.
> * New "max-zone-ttl" option enforces maximum TTLs for zones. If loading a zone
> containing a higher TTL, the load fails. DDNS updates with higher TTLs are
> accepted but the TTL is truncated.
> * Multiple DLZ databases can now be configured, and are searched in order to
> find one that can answer an incoming query.
> * "named-checkzone" and "named-compilezone" can now read journal files.
>
> === Feature changes ===
> * The version 3 XML schema for the statistics channel, including new
> [...]

You can try BIND 9.10.1b2 using COPR repo:
http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/thozza/bind-9.10.1b2/

I'll update the COPR in the mean time since there is already a RC1.

Dependent packages can be found here:
http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/thozza/bind-9.10.1b2-dependencies/

(only bind-dyndb-ldap is missing since it needs more changes. I'm working
with the maintainer on updating the package)

Regards,
--
Tomas Hozza
Software Engineer - EMEA ENG Developer Experience

PGP: 1D9F3C2D