How to handle upgrades to Fedora 21

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Sep 24 17:12:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:29:11 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 24.09.2014 um 18:16 schrieb Stephen Gallagher:
> > There has been some discussion in various forums lately about how we
> > will handle fedup upgrades from Fedora 20 to Fedora 21 products.
> >
> > Several suggestions have been made that warrant discussion:
> >
> >  * Upgrades from Fedora 20 remain non-productized. They pick up
> > fedora-release-standard and upgrade only their existing packages.
> >  * Upgrades from Fedora 20 become Fedora Workstation systems and
> > have the appropriate environment group installed on them. This
> > mechanism will not remove any existing packages.
> >  * Fedup should provide a selection for which Product (or
> > non-productized) version to upgrade to.
> >
> > I am personally opposed to forcing all upgrades to become Fedora
> > Workstation (even if in general the majority of existing deployments
> > are desktop/laptop machines).
> >
> > I think either the first option (easy) or the last option (requiring
> > fedup changes) will be preferable. In the selectable case, I think
> > that fedup should operate as a non-productized upgrade unless
> > otherwise specified at the command-line. If we pass --server,
> > --workstation, --cloud, it should upgrade existing packages as well
> > as installing the complete set of the @^fedora-$PRODUCT-environment
> > comps environment group
>
> while i talk here only about YUM instead of "fedup" it may also be
> a matter of dependencies at the end:
>
> i would strongly prefer "non-productized" because i have around 30
> machines upgraded now from F9 to F20 with YUM and they are all
> strongly customized all sort of servers, workstations and all of
> them are stripped-down setups with no unused package installed
>
> pull a desktop on a nameserver with 291 packages - no thanks :-)
>
> for me the products are a nice thing for a lot of users to get sane
> combinations targeting the needs, on the other hand many server admins
> likely want to continue with minimal installs and add additional
> packages as needed (we do that with meta-packages only defining
> dependencies) because it don't happen often enough to install
> a phyiscal machine from scratch compared to clone the golden
> master virtual machine

I have updated a few machines by running "yum --releasever=21 install
fedora-release" then "yum distro-sync" and not had any issues. As I
understand this thread it is soley about what to do in the case of
using fedup only. in which case we need to setup some things in
mirrormanager and do some testing and see what happens. note that we
may not be able to use the fedora-install-21 prefix as the install
trees all have a prefix already assigned

Dennis