Proposal: Increasing application icon sizes to 64px

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:23:09 UTC 2014

On 26 September 2014 13:12, Kalev Lember <kalevlember at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I'd say it's time to cut off apps with 32x32 icons. Padding 48x48
> icons to 64x64 might still be OK though, especially since the number of
> affected apps is quite large.

Right, this is probably the best course of action now.

> In any case, should emit warnings for missing 64x64 and 128x128 icons to
> make sure maintainers know there's something missing and have time to
> prepare.

When to warn them? In rpmbuild? In the koji logs no human ever reads?
You can get this kind of warning now, if you BR: libappstream-glib and
then do a:

%check
DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT appstream-util check-root

...but this requires the packager to actually add this manually.

Richard