Request for testers: glibc update to work around Intel TSX errata microcode_ctl problems.

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 19:26:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 08:53:59PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> I've just tested the F-21 update for this, and I'm afraid that the
> problem is still present there. I've also regenerated my initrd to make
> sure that that included the new glibc too, but that did not help.

Do you still see crashes in systemd within pthread code or is it
something else?  The update should have disabled lock elision
completely, so if it SIGILLs on haswell, it ought to SIGILL on
everything, which it doesn't.

Either way, an early microcode update is indeed the best way out, so
if that works, we could just drop the glibc update.  But it would be
great to know what's actually going wrong so that if it's something in
glibc even with elision disabled, we can get that fixed.

Siddhesh