Request for testers: glibc update to work around Intel TSX errata microcode_ctl problems.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Sep 28 19:25:06 UTC 2014

Am 28.09.2014 um 21:15 schrieb drago01:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> What about the case where the user runs a custom kernel?
>>
>> then he needs to build it right
>>
>> don't get me wrong but you can't seriously disable TSX
>> completly because a *possible* out-of-distribution kernel
>
> Well the microcode update *does* disable TSX (so that only applies to
> new yet to be introduced cpus) ...

that's the point of what i said:

* you buy a new CPU in 2 months
* the microcode don't disable TSX there
* if glibc now is built without TSX support you gain nothing from new hardware
* if kernel loads microcode early and you have hardware supporting
  TSX and glibc also supports it -> fine you hav ethe feature

it would be a big mistake to disable completly TSX forever and
if not forever how would someone decide when enable it - the only
sane way is to get microcode applid as early as possible and
after that use the CPU feautures which are enabled

> but yeah if you build your own kernel you should try to be
> as close to possible to the distro config

exactly what i said