Request for testers: glibc update to work around Intel TSX errata microcode_ctl problems.

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 05:16:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 06:39:01AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 09/28/2014 09:25 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >* you buy a new CPU in 2 months
> >* the microcode don't disable TSX there
> >* if glibc now is built without TSX support you gain nothing from new hardware
>
> Or the fixed TSX implementation is slightly different, and glibc breaks
> again.  We don't know.  Maybe even Intel doesn't know.

Furthermore, it is very unlikely to be 2 months, from the info
provided/leaked so far, it seems that Broadwell-E/Broadwell-EP are the
first CPUs to have fixed TSX again, and Haswell-E has only been released
a month ago.  Note, Haswell-E usually seems to have TSX disabled already in
BIOS, so microcode_ctl doesn't do anything regarding TSX there.

	Jakub