Proposal: Increasing application icon sizes to 64px

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:05:59 UTC 2014

On 29 September 2014 12:40, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 September 2014 12:23, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu> wrote:
>> Couldn’t we just stop this madness of bitmaps?
>
> SVGs are not a silver bullet. You'd want a very different source SVG
> file for an icon that's designed to be displayed at 22x22, to an icon
> designed to be displayed at 256x256. Plus, rendering SVGs with
> inkscape and rsvg sometimes output *very* different results...

Not necessarily. The strongest argument so far in this thread about
not simply scaling up (in pixels) icons has been that it's noticeable
in an environment where the other elements are crisp. Your point about
SVGs is that larger icons can include more detail, but actually the
icons are not supposed to be physically larger, so is adding more
detail a good move? Who is using magnifying glasses to view icons? Is
it a good idea taking into account visually impaired people to cram in
more detail to the same screen area just because it's available?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk