Go packaging

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 09:42:10 UTC 2014

On 09/30/2014 10:53 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37:46AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 09/29/2014 08:54 PM, Haïkel wrote:
>>> Currently, there is *no* golang packaging guidelines approved, so we
>>> shouldn't have accepted golang packages in the first place.
>>
>> I think this is problematic considering that some other languages violates
>> their language-specific packaging guidelines with complete impunity.  And
>> some of those guidelines fall far short of what's being demanded from Go
>> packages.
>>
>> Go is held to absurdly high standards, and there's no clear reason for that.
>
> Are you really making the argument: the other are bad so we can be too?

No, I'm just pointing out a significant inconsistency.

What I think is happening is this: There is no enforcement whatsoever
after the initial review (whether for guidelines or individual
packages), so the bar has to be absurdly high, in the hope that this
will result in perfect packages.  Then, during the inevitable decline in
packaging quality, it takes some time until things become really bad
because the initial standards were so high.

> What would be interesting though, are tickets pointing out what is wrong in the
> current guidelines and bug report against the package not following the
> guidelines.

I tried, didn't work.  It's not surprising because filing bugs doesn't
fix them.