dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Jiří Konečný jkonecny at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 07:50:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 13:40 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> There's some confusion around this, so I thought I would post to try
> and clear up things. In the event I am wrong on any of the below, please
> do feel free to correct me. ;)
>
> In the past the proposal was to have a yum-dnf package that provided
> /usr/bin/yum, called dnf and conflicted with the yum package. I was
> against that plan, but I think the one we settled on is worth doing.
> It's somewhat of a middle ground between "yum is gone right now,
> deal with it" and "you can keep using yum forever".
>
> For f22 (and rawhide):
>
> * dnf is installed by default. By that I mean it is in the 'core' group
>   in comps.
>
> * dnf-yum is installed by default. By that I mean it is in the 'core'
>   group in comps next to dnf.
>
> * yum is installed if something that depends on yum pulls it in or say
>   a user installs it manually.
>
> * yum requires dnf-yum. So, if you install yum manually you will also
>   pull in dnf-yum (and the dnf plugin that handles history migrate).
>
> * When you run 'yum' you get:
>
> % sudo yum list foobar
> Yum command has been deprecated, use dnf instead.
> See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information.
> To transfer transaction metadata from yum to DNF, run 'dnf migrate'
> Redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf list foobar'
>
> ...then the ouput from dnf list foobar...
>
> * If you wish to still use yum, the yum package provides now
>   a /usr/bin/yum-deprecated command that is the old yum
>   command renamed. It also has the notice message as above
>   on it.
>
> * If you are using the yum python bindings directly, that will continue
>    to work if you have the yum package installed.
>
> Note that this landed before Beta freeze, but there were some issues
> with the initial package doing this. There is an update available:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/yum-3.4.3-505.fc22
>
> I think this helps those users who read any of the docs out there
> that say to 'yum install foo' at the cost of those people who need
> some specific command line behavior from yum. The second group
> is much better positioned to use yum-deprecated or know whats
> going on than the first group.
>
> kevin
> --

Hi,

I want to ask on something not exactly to topic, but it's side of it. I
have a problem find command in dnf which is in yum.

When I'm using this command I get information which package contains
this library.
$ yum provides *libnetapi.so

but when I'm using dnf command
$ dnf repoquery --provides *libnetapi.so

Is there a way to find libraries and other files in dnf?
Thank you for answer.