system-config-users and IPA

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 08:40:30 UTC 2015

> I am writing patch for system-config-users that allows configure users ang
> group from a IPA server with python library ipalib from package ipa-python.
> I would like the changes be included in the system-config-users. What is the
> best way to implement this from the point of view of architecture? I am now
> implementing API that is similar to API of libuser.

That would effectively mean that system-config-users contains an abstraction, which in one of the instances calls the libuser abstraction.  It would seem more natural to write a libuser module instead of system-config-users- specific code—or, by far the best if possible, just use (or perhaps improve) libuser’s existing LDAP support.

Longer-term, there is supposed to be a sssd-centric user management API, which would also replace/be called by libuser.  I’m not sure what is the implementation status of this effort.
    Mirek