dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 12:23:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 09:50:05 +0200, Jiří Konečný wrote:
> When I'm using this command I get information which package contains
> this library.
> $ yum provides *libnetapi.so
>
> but when I'm using dnf command
> $ dnf repoquery --provides *libnetapi.so

Besides other replies to make it clear: There is a confusion between 'provides'
and 'whatprovides'.  'dnf repoquery' behaves the same like 'repoquery' (from
yum-utils) and like rpm:
rpm:
  --whatprovides        query/verify the package(s) which provide
  --provides            list capabilities that this package provides
repoquery:
  --provides            list capabilities this package provides
  --whatprovides        query what package(s) provide a capability
dnf repoquery provides foo: (?? dnf repoquery --help does not work)
  --whatprovides REQ    show only results there provides REQ
  --provides            Display capabilities provided by the package.
vs.
dnf:
  provides              Find what package provides the given value
yum:
  provides              Find what package provides the given value

So: dnf/yum provides <=> rpm/repoqiery/dnf-repoquery --whatprovides
    dnf/yum N/A      <=> rpm/repoqiery/dnf-repoquery     --provides

rpm/repoquery just do not support wildcards so one has to type:
	    repoquery --whatprovides 'libnetapi.so.0()(64bit)'
	dnf repoquery --whatprovides 'libnetapi.so.0()(64bit)'

Jan