dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:38:53 UTC 2015

Hi

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> * When you run 'yum' you get:
>
> % sudo yum list foobar
> Yum command has been deprecated, use dnf instead.
> See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information.
> To transfer transaction metadata from yum to DNF, run 'dnf migrate'
> Redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf list foobar'

All of this seems a bit rushed considering the schedule.

I have to say I agree with some of the comments in
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1312
 including Dennis Gilmore and Matthew Miller.  While I am glad dnf-yum is
now intended to be there by default and there is a better transition,  I
would prefer if using yum didn't result in this pretty large message
upfront.   The small number of differences between yum and dnf doesn't seem
to warrant this needless churn since massive internal changes and even some
command line changes have occurred between revisions of yum itself.

It would be much better if we can just stick to yum as the name of the
command  esp now that the classic yum command itself has been renamed to
yum-deprecated resulting in no conflicts.

Rahul