dnf debug-info-install

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Apr 7 12:25:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 14:15 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 7.4.2015 v 14:09 Michael Catanzaro napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want 'dnf debug-info-install' to be available by default on
> > Workstation.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, but why it should be installed by default?
>
> Vít

Because gdb recommends you use it whenever it detects that debuginfo
is missing. :-) Then the process for figuring out how to install it is
unnecessarily complex; you either have to magically know that it's
present in dnf-plugins-extras, or else magically know about the
yum2dnf man page and scroll to the very bottom of that (which I only
found because I ran the old debuginfo-install command, which gdb no
longer recommends, so new users won't find it). Much better to just
install it by default, IMO. Or make it a dependency of gdb: that would
be fine too. (Gosh, another great case for Recommends, if only we were
allowed to use Recommends!)

Anyway, whatever in dnf-plugins-extras that depends on snapper really
ought to move to another package. That is not a reasonable dependency.
It tries (and fails) to snapshot my system whenever I run 'dnf', hence
I uninstalled dnf-plugins-extras soon after I installed it.

Michael