How to build one TeXLive subpackage for EPEL-7?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Apr 8 08:12:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu> wrote:
> On 2015-04-08, 01:06 GMT, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> Just package it separately.  They should all have proper upstream
>> tarballs, and there's no reason not to just make individual packages if
>> that's what you need.  And, hey, while you're at it, stick them in
>> rawhide and make the texlive package not generate them at all.  Anything
>> that gets split out of texlive into proper packages is a win.
>
> Cutting up texlive monster piece by piece seems like rather
> lousy idea to me. After all that long thread about texlive which
> just happened here I am afraid dealing with the monster must be
> done in some more sensible and organized matter.
>
> Anyway, I'll try to make a special EPEL package for it.
>
> Matěj
> --
> http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl<at>ceplovi.cz
> GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC
>
> Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They don't like it.
>
> --

One reason I'm building my OSJourno Docker images on Fedora and not
the more popular and theoretically more stable CentOS is that EPEL
doesn't have a few LaTeX packages I need. Sometime when I run out of
more pressing things to fix, I'm going to try texlive-texliveonfly to
see if it can find and install missing LaTeX packages.

Seriously, texlive is huge - if you install *everything* IIRC you have
something like 4 GB just for texlive! So there's every reason to want
to install a minimal texlive and install packages on an as-needed
basis. And I'm curious why there are texlive packages in Fedora that
aren't in EPEL - I assume it's a human or machine resource constraint.

--
OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.