appdata validation and <li> too long

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:16:12 UTC 2015

On 7 April 2015 at 23:23, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> The hedgewars appdata file from upstream is getting flagged as invalid by
> rpmlint. I checked with appdata-validate and get the following:
> appdata-validate -v /usr/share/appdata/hedgewars.appdata.xml
> /usr/share/appdata/hedgewars.appdata.xml 1 problems detected:
> • style-invalid         : <li> is too long
>
> What is the limit on the size of list elements?

For normal validation, it's 20<strlen<100, when in relaxed mode it's
3<strlen<1000.

> Does this really break anything or can I just leave it?

A style warning is just that; it's going to look a little different to
most other apps but with no real harm. If you use:

appstream-util validate-relax usr/share/appdata/hedgewars.appdata.xml

...then the style warnings go away, and this is probably what you want
to use if you're using it in a .spec file. I hope that helps,

Richard