dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Radek Holy rholy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 12:22:53 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

This recurrent half-truth causes so much confusion. I'd like to ask everyone not to repeat it. Or at least also point to http://dnf.readthedocs.org/en/latest/cli_vs_yum.html#no-skip-broken please.

> Not when installing packages.

AFAIK, YUM's --skip-broken does two things:
1) it selects another version of the requested package if the most suitable cannot be installed
2) it skips the requested package if none of its versions can be installed

DNF does only (1) by default (and it can be disabled by --best). And it does it during both upgrades and installations. But only if the requested "pkg-spec" matches multiple packages. If the given "pkg-spec" is unique (e.g. foo-1-0.fc21.noarch) and the matching package cannot be installed, DNF fails.

(2) was intentionally not supported in DNF so far but we have been repeatedly receiving bug reports complaining that this "feature" is missing. We have finally received a use case for it and thus we are considering an implementation as a plugin.

--
Radek HolĂ˝
Associate Software Engineer