dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Apr 8 12:44:56 UTC 2015

Am 08.04.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Jan Zelený:
> On 8. 4. 2015 at 10:26:51, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 08.04.2015 um 08:41 schrieb Jan Zelený:
>>> Putting the opinion of myself and the dnf team aside, I'd like to point
>>> out
>>> that the information you want is still available - dnf check-update will
>>> show you all the updates, even those that have broken deps. Running this
>>> command right after dnf upgrade will list you those that could not be
>>> installed
>> the world don't work that way
>>
>> *nobody* even not myself would call "dnf check-update" after "dnf
>> upgrade" installed updates and did not complain about anything
>
> You are right, people use it the other way - we have had reports stating that
> dnf check-update shows packages that dnf upgrade doesn't select. In other
> words, the information about broken updates is still available to the user

your repsonse is completly unclear

"you are right", "people use it the other way", "updates is still
available to the user" in combination makes no sense at all

to make it clear: a in theory available option is worhless and just
because you had reports of people using "dnf check-update" don't mean
"people in general use it that way"

i am pretty sure most people just use "yum upgrade" and that's it and i
can't imagine why i should type "dnf check-update" at all when "yum
upgrade" is supposed to give the same answer and finally needs just "y"
for install them if available