dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Apr 9 10:10:55 UTC 2015

On 09/04/15 10:30, Radek Holy wrote:

>> On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 08:22:53 -0400,
>>    Radek Holy <rholy at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> AFAIK, YUM's --skip-broken does two things:
>>> 1) it selects another version of the requested package if the most suitable
>>> cannot be installed
>>> 2) it skips the requested package if none of its versions can be installed
>>>
>>> (2) was intentionally not supported in DNF so far but we have been
>>> repeatedly receiving bug reports complaining that this "feature" is
>>> missing. We have finally received a use case for it and thus we are
>>> considering an implementation as a plugin.
>>
>> Doesn't 2 apply if no package list is given for dnf update?
>>

> Hm, well, in case of upgrade some version of the given package is already installed so literally no (because the already installed version can be installed :-) ). But let's say that we both are correct because upgrade is kind of special in this case. We can think about changing the upgrade command to be consistent with the install command if there is a demand to do that but so far I'm fine with the current situation. I think that in case of upgrade, it's more common to ask to upgrade as much as you can while in case of install, users/scripts prefer to install everything or fail otherwise. Moreover I think that the change could annoy a lot of users.

Sounds reasonable, but include distro-sync in the upgrade case please...

That was one of the issues I ran into the other day, where I did
something like "dnf distro-sync b*" and if failed because one of the
installed packages which matched the wildcard didn't exist in any repo.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/