dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 12:52:35 UTC 2015

On 9. 4. 2015 at 15:24:53, Björn Persson wrote:
> Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 7. 4. 2015 at 18:34:49, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > Pardon, folks - But haven't we been told dnf was supposed to be yum
> > > compatible?
> >
> > I'm afraid not. From the very beginning, we were sending a clear message
> > that we will be as compatible as possible in terms of CLI but we never
> > wanted to have just another yum. If that was the case, we wouldn't call
> > the project differently.
>
> Your definition of "possible" seems to be different from mine. To me
> "possible" means that it doesn't require doing something impossible
> such as solving the halting problem. As I don't know what you consider
> possible I can't tell how compatible Yum and DNF are really supposed to
> be.
>
> If you mean that DNF will duplicate those parts of Yum's CLI that are
> reasonably straightforward to implement on top of DNF's internal
> architecture, then it would be better to say that.

Yes ... mostly

As it turns out, many of the features are implemented on more places in yum
and some of the features are hardly used. Those might not get in.

> If you mean that DNF will duplicate the most commonly used of Yum's
> features, then please say that.

Yes ... mostly

Let's not hang upon features and say the most common use cases will be
covered.

> If you mean that whenever DNF happens to have a feature that works
> similarly to one of Yum's features it will have the same name so that
> users will recognize it, then please say that.

Yes ... mostly

Not always. Many of yum features grew organically and in time they got very
different from their original purpose so it might make sense to rename them.
Also some of dnf's features cover functionality of more than one yum feature
and we don't want to make aliases that are not necessary.

Thanks
Jan