dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 10 13:32:19 UTC 2015

Am 10.04.2015 um 15:15 schrieb Jan Zelený:
>> It is naive, in my opinion, to assume that Fedora is going to supply all the
>> packages one might need. I quite frequently run into the problem of
>> dependencies from other repos clashing with Fedora's, and others and have
>> to use the information provided by yum to determine how to clean things up.
>> In what is proposed now I will have to do two steps to determine there is a
>> problem.
>
> Ok, I think I understand your problem a little better now, even though I still
> maintain the opinion that dnf should not be a debugging tool. I have seen a
> few proposals here that have the potential to be a nice compromise.
>
> Also I wonder if dnf check-update is actually useful. From what I've read
> here, it seems it's barely used. If dnf is to have its functionality covered
> by the upgrade command, perhaps it's possible to remove the check-update
> command

we use "yum check-update" regulary once per day on the admin server to
check for available security updates in "updates-testing" and report the
available ones via cron mail

that's prodcution, on developer and admin workstations "yum upgrade" is
enough

#!/usr/bin/bash
yum_output=`LANG=C; yum --enablerepo=updates-testing -q check-update
--security 2> /dev/null`
echo $yum_output | xargs | sed 's/ updates//g' | tr -d '\n'