dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Apr 10 16:40:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 03:15:42PM +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> On 10. 4. 2015 at 08:56:16, Steve Clark wrote:

> > It is naive, in my opinion, to assume that Fedora is going to supply all the
> > packages one might need. I quite frequently run into the problem of
> > dependencies from other repos clashing with Fedora's, and others and have
> > to use the information provided by yum to determine how to clean things up.
> > In what is proposed now I will have to do two steps to determine there is a
> > problem.
>

> Ok, I think I understand your problem a little better now, even though I still
> maintain the opinion that dnf should not be a debugging tool. I have seen a
> few proposals here that have the potential to be a nice compromise.

Another problem can result from someone rebuilding a package locally to
get a newer version. If now a library is updated in an incompatible way
for security reasons, this would break the update. Therefore it is not
just a debugging issue but simply just reporting-that-there-is-a-bug
issue.

> Also I wonder if dnf check-update is actually useful. From what I've read
> here, it seems it's barely used. If dnf is to have its functionality covered
> by the upgrade command, perhaps it's possible to remove the check-update
> command.

Maybe check-update can be changed to just display which updates the
update command would really install instead of just telling which it
might install.

Regards
Till