dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 08:00:02 UTC 2015

On 10. 4. 2015 at 17:50:08, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 10.04.2015 um 17:48 schrieb Marcin Juszkiewicz:
> > W dniu 10.04.2015 o 16:29, Reindl Harald pisze:
> >> well, that so called "crap" was in the past helpful to find out *which*
> >> package pulls a cross-dep-chain while in the past 2 years yum also more
> >> and more crippeled it's output
> >>
> >> it was also helpful in case deps where broken to find out the origin
> >> package responsible for and not only once i decided to remove a specific
> >> package because of that informations
> >>
> >> in short: that "crap" was helpful to reach to a minimum stripped down
> >> systems over the years
> >
> > I have no doubt that it was useful in some cases. But probably 90+% of
> > yum users did not cared about it at all
>
> but did they got hurted?
> unlikely
>
> i really hate that attitude calling remove visible informations
> "usability" while systemd on the other hand spits the logs full of
> irrelevant informations all day long by burry the relevant ones

We are talking about information that is irrelevant in 90+% of yum runs
(allegedly, I wouldn't dare estimating this number myself). Hiding such
information by default while making it available to people who really care
about it sounds like a nice usability feature to me.

Now, I admit that the second half is limping a bit. The information is
available but it's not as easily accessible as you want it to be. If you want
to help us, I invite you to write a plugin that will show the information you
seek in a way you see fit.

Thanks
Jan