dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 08:54:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 at 10:22 Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>

> > Now, I admit that the second half is limping a bit. The information is
> > available but it's not as easily accessible as you want it to be. If you
> want
> > to help us, I invite you to write a plugin that will show the
> information you
> > seek in a way you see fit
>
> and i invite you to just take the existing code in YUM and re-implement
> it because DNF was originally a fork of YUM and somebody has taken
> things away to later ask users re-implement them - that's not how the
> world works

Yes, this is how the world works in open source development, you can
request all the changes you want, but it up to the upstream project to
select what they want to prioritize and implement.
It is much better if you make some contribution yourself, instead of
complaining, if you want something to change.
DNF is not YUM, it implement mostly the same features, but it is a totally
different codebase, it started as fork og yum many years ago, but they have
moved i differnt directions since then.
You has it owns depsolver written in python, dnf uses a 3 party sat solver.
So it is not possible to take code from the yum delsolver and put it into
dnf, it don't make any sense at all.
I coded the --skip-broken feature in yum and it took many years to get it
right and caused me many gray hairs, the depsolver used in dnf has support
for removing packages from the transaction there is causing problems, but
it is not easy to get information from the solver and present then to the
user in a good way, so I understand that the dnf developers prioritize
there limited time on other things, there matter for more people.
The world is changing al the time, and so does thing in Fedora, mayor parts
is ripped out and replaced all the time, with new stuff there is not
working as the old part. So you have to move on and learn how the new beast
is working for good and bad.

Tim