hibernation support - lack of distro-wide coordination between systemd, dracut, anaconda, pm-utils and maybe more?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Apr 16 12:36:17 UTC 2015

Am 16.04.2015 um 14:31 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:

>>> retired in master
>>
>> Is that good enough?  Should systemd obsolete it, too?  I thought the
>> whole point of this thread was that pm-utils was actively dangerous
>> now, so shouldn't we actively remove it from users' systems?
>
> I wasn't dangerous, just confusing and obsolete. You raise a good point.
> Nevertheless, systemd does not provide command-line compatiblity to pm-utils,
> so I don't think we can obsolete it. Someone might be using it in their scripts,
> etc.

well, and that is bad

back in the good old days replacements typically where commandline
compatible and worked as drop-in replacement, these days people all day
long are bothered with the new shiny things need work left and right
from everybody and often the improvements are not worth the time wasted
by thousands of people