New Upstream Release Monitoring Systems

Petr Hracek phracek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 10:58:30 UTC 2015

On 02/24/2015 05:58 PM, Ralph Bean wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:33:29PM +0100, Petr Hracek wrote:
>> In our project called rebase-helper https://github.com/phracek/rebase-helper
>> we would like to analyze a new upstream version against an old upstream
>> version
>> and let user now what is changed. E.g. Binaries are missing, soname bump
>> change, header files are missing etc.
>>
>> Is there any possibility how to integrate a tool (e.g. rebase-helper) to
>> upstream release monitoring system?
> Wow.  This looks great and I'd love to have it integrated into
> the-new-hotness (that's the Fedora-specific daemon that files bugs and
> tries scratch builds).
>
> The relevant code is here:  https://github.com/fedora-infra/the-new-hotness/blob/develop/hotness/buildsys.py#L78-L123
>
> Want to try your hand at adding it in?  Stop by #fedora-apps when you
> have time to chat about it and we can work on the details if you like.
>
> We're entering infrastructure Alpha freeze later today, so we wouldn't
> be able to push this out for a few weeks at the earliest.

rebase-helper is mostly finish for upstream monitoring system.
I would like to ask you for some things.
1) Where the-new-hotness daemon is running?
2) Do you think that it is possible to install rebase-helper package  on
the system where the-new-hotness daemon
runs?
If not shall I start my own system where the rebase-helper will run?
I suggest that first one option is the best.
3) In first case should I start my own daemon or the-new-hotness-daemon
will call rebase-helper API?
https://github.com/fedora-infra/the-new-hotness/blob/develop/hotness/buildsys.py#L78-L123

Would it be possible to get an access to that machine. For testing purpose.

4) What parameters will be passed to rebase-helper? msg structure?

5) Rebase-helper currently builds an RPM packages with rpmbuild. But
fedpkg is better I guess.
Rebase-helper will build old and new packages with fedpkg scratch builds.
Could you please advise me how to execute them with fedpkg?
Of course I can read the-new-hotness daemon source and implemented by
myself.

--
Petr Hracek
Software Engineer