/usr/share vs /usr/libexec

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Wed Apr 22 13:59:20 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

The Ceph package ships some utilities that are not intended to be run by users.

1. There's one utility that prepares Ceph's object storage daemon and
that is at is in /usr/libexec/ceph/ceph-osd-prestart.sh . The systemd
unit file calls that with "ExecStartPre=".

2. There are some other utilities that are only used by udev, and
these are currently in /usr/bin. I was going to move these to
/usr/libexec , but someone brought up the point that all these files
are architecture-independent, so perhaps they should go into
/usr/share. [1]

I confess I've only seen /usr/libexec used for add-on utilities, but
now I'm curious.

Does it make more sense for these sort of scripts to live in
/usr/libexec, or in /usr/share?

- Ken

[1] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/10725#note-8