Packaging rust-lang

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 09:35:31 UTC 2015

Hey,

there is some interest (the interested people are BCC'ed) in packaging
[Rust](http://www.rust-lang.org).
The packaging request is tracked here: Bug 915043 - Package rust (lang)

There are two main parts to get the packaging done:
(a) Get rust to use our pre-build llvm
(b) Package the smaller dependencies

For (a) it is looking better than a year ago, according to my knowledge
all important patches are upstreamed into LLVM.
So the task is mainly to find the right compile switches and possibly some
patches to the build system to get Rust to build with our pre-build LLVM.

For (b) we have at least three submodules which should be packaged:

    [submodule "src/compiler-rt"]
    path = src/compiler-rt
    url = https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-rt.git

Not packaged yet

    [submodule "src/rt/hoedown"]
    path = src/rt/hoedown
    url = https://github.com/rust-lang/hoedown.git

Not packaged yet

    [submodule "src/jemalloc"]
    path = src/jemalloc
    url = https://github.com/rust-lang/jemalloc.git

Packaged.

The unpackaged modules need to get packaged, and for the packaged ones
the Rust build system needs updates to pickup the pre-build ones.

Due to time constraints I can currently not help with packaging, but I
can help review stuff as soon as there is something.

But there is so much interest in packaging Rust that there are maybe some
volunteers to drive the little tasks.

- fabian