nettle, gnutls: soname version bump in rawhide

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 07:10:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-27 at 16:33 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
> On 04/27/2015 03:56 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> > Hello,
> >   Next week I plan to update nettle to 3.1.1 and gnutls to 3.4.0 in
> > rawhide. That would require a recompilation of the packages that depend
> > on them. Any objections?
> My concern is that there's probably a lot of 3rd party apps that use
> gnutls. Even if it's just as simple as rebuilding, it probably takes a
> while for them to switch over.
> I think it would make sense to keep ABI compatibility with the old
> soname for one Fedora release, just to give 3rd parties time to
> transition over. I could help making an ABI compat package for this if
> you agree it makes sense?

A compat library is a non-trivial task. In that particular ABI change
there were changes in header definitions (e.g., rearrangement of
enumerations), and functions which were either not safe to use under TLS
1.2, or related to RSA-EXPORT ciphersuites were removed [0]. It may be
easier to ship both gnutls libraries as debian does because there are
versioned symbols, but I'm not sure whether that's acceptable. I've not
seen it in other packages in fedora.

(as Florian mentioned, the above can only be done for gnutls, the nettle
library introduced versioned symbols only in its latest release).

regards,
Nikos

[0].
http://www.gnutls.org/manual/html_node/Upgrading-from-previous-versions.html#Upgrading-from-previous-versions