minimal requirements for subpackage named common

Jan Chaloupka jchaloup at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 13:15:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a package (kubernetes) which I would like to decompose into 2
subpackages A and B. Problem is A and B share some files and directories
so installing both of them on the same machine results in file
conflicts. Solution is to create the third package C, which provides all
those conflicting/shared files and directories (documentation, one
configuration file, etc.). So A and B both Requires C. So now both A and
B can be installed on the same machine (together with C).

My question is how should I name subpackage C? Should it be named common
or shared or base or "this files and directories are shared together
package". Is there a convention on naming a subpackage with these common
or shared files and directories?

E.g.

glibc-common provides configuration file, binaries, locales
emacs-common provides binaries, service file, documents, charsets,
images, ...
gnuplot-common provides binaries, docs, PostScript files, one man page,
one info page, ...

Is there a minimum requirement what should a common package provide or
is it just arbitrary?

Subpackage C provides one directory, one configuration file and 4 docs.

Thanks for any answer.

Kind Regards
Jan