Packaging rust-lang

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Thu Apr 30 09:56:43 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 at 19:15, Josh Stone wrote:
> On 04/27/2015 02:35 AM, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > there is some interest (the interested people are BCC'ed) in packaging
> > [Rust](http://www.rust-lang.org).
> > The packaging request is tracked here: Bug 915043 - Package rust (lang)
> >
> > There are two main parts to get the packaging done:
> > (a) Get rust to use our pre-build llvm
> > (b) Package the smaller dependencies
>
> Also important:
> (c) Bootstrap requires a binary stage0 rustc
> (d) There are essentially no ABI promises.
>
> I think stage0 is unavoidable, but does this need fesco approval?

No, but please file a tracking ticket with the FPC:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Treatment_Of_Bundled_Libraries#Bootstrapping

https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/

> I think the ABI means we can't really ship shared libraries, only static
> rlibs.  Even when the hashed filename is the same, the symbols often
> change, nevermind actual compatibility.
>

> Cargo is also important for truly saying we've packaged rust.  But that
> also has a bootstrapped binary, and comes with a whole heap of
> dependencies.  And since there's no real way to use installed libraries
> from cargo yet[1], apart from rustc's own libraries, all these pretty
> much have to be bundled.
> [1] https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/1334#issuecomment-76880322
>

> Thoughts?

They need Bundled Library Exception from the FPC. Given the lack of ABI
stability, I don't think it makes sense to package anything more beyond
the compiler unless you wish to rebuild the (rust) world with every
update of the compiler (if I understand the above correctly).

Regards,
Dominik
"Faith manages."