gross DNF bandwidth inefficiency if filesystem space limited

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Aug 3 20:14:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 11:52:01 -0400
Bill Nottingham <notting at splat.cc> wrote:

> At some point, it might be worth doing cost/benefit analysis on
> continuing down our existing mirroring strategy and designing for the
> limits of that vs. the application of some sponsor funds towards the
> use of more standard CDN service and methodology.

Yeah.

We looked at one of the existing CDNs a while back, but the way it was
setup was not very friendly to the sort of content we have. They were
more expecting slowly changing static content, where we have lots of
changes all the time. Things may have changed or other vendors might be
different.

In any case even if we had a CDN we controlled, it wouldn't change the
fact that if you download repodata one day it may not be good the next.
We could fix that I suppose by simply only pushing updates once a week
or something, but I bet people wouldn't like that "solution". ;)

kevin