Heads up: F23 products/spins, weak rpm dependencies, and you

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Aug 5 18:47:55 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, August 05, 2015 01:36:20 PM Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Brian C. Lane <bcl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 10:38:07AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > In Fedora 23, rpm has grown support for weak dependencies (Recommends:
> > > and Suggests: tags). However, the compose tools have not been ported to
> > > dnf/libsolv yet, which means these tags will have no effect at image
> > > compose time.
> >
> > To clarify the state of things a bit -- lorax is already using DNF (and
> > python3) so anything creating a boot.iso or a DVD based on the boot.iso
> > will use DNF to select the packages.
> >
> > livecd-creator is still yum and python2 based. I have no plans to change
> > this, it's time for us to switch to using Anaconda via
> > livemedia-creator so that we can keep the installation logic in one
> > maintainable place.
> >
> > rel-eng is still using livecd-creator for Fedora 23. Hopefully
> > livemedia-creator koji integration will be working for Fedora 24. In the
> > meantime you can still use livecd-creator.
> >
> > Anaconda is using DNF by default and is also python3 for Fedora 23 so
> > any package based installations will use DNF.
> >
> > livemedia-creator documentation is here:
> > https://rhinstaller.github.io/lorax/livemedia-creator.html
> >
> > And I've written a blog post here:
> > https://www.brianlane.com/creating-live-isos-with-livemedia-creator.html
> >
> > --
> > Brian C. Lane | Anaconda Team | IRC: bcl #anaconda | Port Orchard, WA
> > (PST8PDT)
> > --
>
> ​What keeps us from completing livemedia-creator Koji integration for
> Fedora 23? And what of the state of pungi?​

pungi is python2 and yum only at this point, Brian's DVD claim is not totally
correct. dnf is used to install the packages into the boot.iso but yum is used
to select the packages that are included on the installation DVD and tree.
but then dnf is used  to do a install on the end users system. Jon Disnard is
tasked with getting livemedia-creator working in koji but we will enable it in
rawhide first and only consider using it for f23 if it gets done soon enough
and we are sure that it works 100%

Dennis