Hosting End-Of-Life Fedora Base images?

Vaclav Pavlin vpavlin at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 14:55:04 UTC 2015

I am also strongly against creating Docker images from EOL bits. Kickstart
for base image is available

https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-docker-base.ks

It actually even contains a how to if anybody really needs such image.
Keeping already created images available after EOL is different story.

VaĊĦek

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Adam Miller <maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:05:19AM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> >>
> >> It is true that install media ISOs are available forever, but we don't
> >> go backwards in time and create vagrant boxes or IaaS cloud qcow
> >> images of old EOL'd Fedora releases that went EOL before those
> >> technologies existed and/or became popular.
> >
> > I am actually, for virt-builder.  There's a bunch of reasons to do
> > this.  Whether they are good or not, you can decide, but here they
> > are:
> >
> >  - Test images for detection of old versions of Fedora/RHEL/etc
> >    (for virt-inspector and other monitoring tools).
> >
> >  - Test images for virt-v2v.
> >
> >  - Environments for reproducing old bugs (however I would generally
> >    reject a bug report if it referred to some ancient / EOL'd Fedora).
> >

> Which is totally fine.
>
> I'm not saying that nobody should do it, I'm saying that Fedora
> Release Engineering does not currently, nor have they ever, do this in
> an official context as an official deliverable from the Fedora
> Project.
>
> My question to the group is, "should we be doing this as an official
> deliverable of the Fedora Project?" and not, "should anyone ever do
> this?"
>
> All the bits are available and people can do with them what they
> please (within Trademark Guidelines of course), but I'm just trying to
> get a feel for if people want to see this done in an official
> capacity.
>
> -AdamM
>
> > Rich.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> > Read my programming and virtualization blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
> > virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines.  Boot with a
> > live CD or over the network (PXE) and turn machines into KVM guests.
> > http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v
> > --

Architect - Senior Software Engineer
Developer Experience