Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Aug 11 19:38:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Josh Stone <jistone at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2015 12:12 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Yet I see a Linux tar.bz2 for Firefox at downloads.mozilla.org so I
>> wonder why that binary doesn't just run unmodified anywhere and I'm
>> waiting for 40.0 to show up in Bodhi?
>
> If you don't see the value of distro integration and testing, then by
> all means, go use mozilla's binaries.

I do not see the value in manually checking koji for Firefox updates
and then manually downloading and installing them. That's just not
going to happen by pretty much anybody. I have u-t enabled, I do
testing, this update is not in u-t yet.

If I knew Mozilla's Linux binaries provided its own update mechanism
and notification, yes I would do exactly that. And I'd still ask what
the benefit is of duplicating this effort? It sounds like it's not
actually a benefit, rather it's "because packaging".

--
Chris Murphy